Technology Controls Validation Manager – Technology Risk Management
Technology Risk Management (TRM) is a growing organization focused on providing expert advice, credible challenge, and effective oversight of information security and technology activities to identify, assess, control, and manage technology risk throughout the company. This organization plays a critical role in helping to ensure the company’s risk-taking entities are aware of the risks inherent in their activities and decisions, the impact of their actions at an enterprise level, and opportunities to reduce, mitigate, or avoid the risks altogether. Associates within TRM are highly-skilled information security, cyber, technology, and risk management professionals who have a wealth of experience and a demonstrated ability to provide value-added recommendations and deliver high-impact results in their area(s) of expertise.
This position – Manager, Horizontal Risk Services – will play a key role in the organization’s second line of defense independent controls validation program by providing technical expertise in assessing the overall effectiveness of the company’s technology (including both cybersecurity and technology) controls environment. This position will evaluate first line monitoring and testing results, perform independent testing of first line technology controls to evaluate control design and operating effectiveness, and draft reports for senior management. This position will also participate in and provide independent review and effective challenge of capability maturity assessments of enterprise-wide cyber programs (based on the NIST CSF). As part of the second line of defense, you will collaborate closely with associates in the first line cyber and broader technology organization, as well as risk management offices in the various lines of business, to perform and support evaluations of the effectiveness of the company’s cyber controls infrastructure, and offer independent advice and recommendations regarding ways to further mature the company’s cyber risk management capabilities.
As a member of a growing organization, you will have the opportunity to shape and further refine your portfolio commensurate with the priorities of the organization and the company. The demands and high-visibility nature of this position requires an expert with a proven ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and who can begin contributing immediately.
Essential Functions (Responsibilities):
- Lead and manage the execution of independent controls validation of the company’s cybersecurity and technology control environment
- Perform assessments of first line control testing programs to determine sufficiency of processes and effectiveness of execution
- Provide technical assessments of cyber control design and effectiveness by performing independent testing, both manually and through use of tools
- Provide challenge of first line performance against industry frameworks such as NIST CSF, FFIEC CAT, and others
- Draft assessments for senior management and other stakeholders, to include regulatory agencies and the Board of Directors, as required
- Provide challenge, expertise and advice on enhancing the design, effectiveness, and maturity of the company’s cyber controls and capabilities
- Participate in management of the overall cyber control inventory which defines the scope of the controls validation program
- Stay current on emerging cyber threats, controls, and potential implications for the company
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues, stakeholders, and leaders across multiple organizations to achieve objectives
- Coordinate program-related activities and deliverables to ensure effective collaboration within the team and across stakeholder groups
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience in implementing and managing controls validation assessments or controls testing functions based on established industry risk frameworks, including: the NIST Cybersecurity Framework, COBIT v5, COSO, or FedRAMP
- At least 4 years of experience managing, consulting, auditing, or working in the fields of information security or information technology
- At least 4 years of experience with cybersecurity and technology practices
- Professional security management certifications, such as a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), or Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
- Experience using automated testing tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and to interact effectively at all levels of the organization, and to influence as warranted and appropriate
- Passion and expertise in cybersecurity, with an ability to be confident, respectful, and articulate when registering dissenting or unpopular opinions
- Ability to manage multiple projects while maintaining superior results
- Ability to work cross-functionally and individually
- Execution oriented and a self-motivator
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.