This position is within the Office of Information Technology (OIT). As the Category Manager, the incumbent is responsible for defining, centralizing, and standardizing enterprise-wide approach to technology acquisition for organizational needs. This position reports to the Chief Enterprise Architect.
Learn more about this agency
- Serve as Category Manager: Collaborate with the Enterprise Architect to establish guidance for procurement of Information Technology and Health Information Technology technical solutions. Collaborate with Indian Health Service (IHS) Headquarters Offices, Area Offices, Service Units, and other stakeholders to understand organizational business objectives and technical requirements. Develop strategic guidance based on optimal product concentrations and ideal vendor relationships to drive maximum value while adhering to Information Technology Government standards. Lead complex enterprise-wide Information Technology market research activities for future technology acquisitions and communicates with other critical stakeholders to determine the best Information Technology solution to meet the established business need. Develop and maintain vendor strategy using industry analysis, vendor performance, and cost models supported by expertise of Information Technology and Health Information Technology suppliers and industry. Advise IHS stakeholders on best practices in IT procurement processes to ensure consistent outcomes and collaborates to drive continuous process improvements.
- Serve as a Contract Officer Representative (COR): Perform the duties of a Contracting Officer Representative (COR) for assigning contract(s). Develop, review, evaluate, and provide statements (scope) of work or acquisition related documents for IT and Health Information Technology (HIT) procurements for enterprise-wide contracts. Perform as COR, contract project officer, or contractor technical monitor for assigned contracts.
- Serve as a Project Management: Collaborate with the Enterprise Architect to establish guidance for procurement of Information Technology and Health Information Technology technical solutions. Collaborate with IHS Headquarters Offices, Area Offices, Service Units, and other stakeholders to understand organizational business objectives and technical requirements. Develop strategic guidance based on optimal product concentrations and ideal vendor relationships to drive maximum value while adhering to IT Government standards.
25% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
Must pass pre-employment examination.
Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period
ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period
U.S. Citizenship is required
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required
Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/ .
You will need to set up direct deposit so we can pay you.
Background Investigation: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges. You may be subject to a credit check as a part of the background investigation process.
Fingerprinting, as part of the background investigation process, may be delayed due to COVID-19. All other background investigation procedures will apply. Be advised that your continued employment will require you to complete a fingerprint check within 60 days after notification of return to full operations and successfully obtaining a favorable background investigation.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
The Hiring Manager/Selecting Official may elect to utilize an available flexibility wherein applicants who are actively completing a required professional training program and are expected to complete such program within 12 month(s) of applying, may be deemed tentatively qualified.
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualificati on-standards/2200/information- technology-it-management-series-2210-alternative-a/
In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: identifying and resolving integrated and unique program issues where no policy exists, taking innovative actions to address new needs and/or issues; managing information technology programs segments that perform professional or technical work; negotiating yearly and multi-year plans developed for the acquisition of IT programs and systems; researching market trends for acquiring future technology systems and communications; and serving within a cross-functional team to implement IT services and systems.
Time In Grade
Federal employees in the competitive service are also subject to the Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 240 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
This position is being advertised as one position in either Rockville, Maryland or Location Negotiable.
Telework may be authorized. The locality pay will be adjusted accordingly.
Full-Time telework is available under the IHS Flexible Workplace Arrangement Program (FWAP). The locality rate of pay will vary based on telework site and/or designated duty station location identified for workplace flexibility. The incumbent of the position MUST live in the local area of the designated position duty station locations identified.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: https://www.usphs.gov/ .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions.
You will be further evaluated/rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions to determine your competency in the following.
- Business Acumen
- Information Technology
- Project Management
You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaires. If after reviewing your resume and responses to the assessment questions, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance. CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a “well qualified” rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management’s Workforce Restructuring Career Transition website at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ . CTAP/ICTAP documentation requirements are listed in the “Required Documents” section of this announcement.
- Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) – https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide-for-hr-professionals/
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) – https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/support-documents/
- Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) – https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
- Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled – https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/
Click here to view vacancy questions: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10938743 .
All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of, 11/09/2020, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
High Risk (HR)
Trust determination process
Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
Required as applicable for the purposes of specific eligibility and appointment claim(s), and position requirements:
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, “Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only.” Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/online_forms/pdf/IndianPref_1076-0160_Exp3-31-21.pdf . When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans preference the rules regarding Veterans preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Veterans Preference: f claiming Veteran’s Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veterans Preference, submit a SF-15 Application ( http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf ) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: http://www.fedshirevets.gov .
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf .
- Current or former Federal employee: Include your most recent SF-50 or if Reinstatement eligible include your Career SF-50.
- Noncompetitive eligibles: submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy.
- Transcripts, Degrees, Licensure, Certifications: Copies of Transcripts (Official or Unofficial), Degrees, Licenses, and/or Certifications are not required at the time of application. Applicants must list their education history including the type of degree(s) and major of study, and completion or anticipated completion (month and year) on their resume. If a position requires a certain number of credit hours in specific course work for qualification purposes, applicants must submit a transcript (official/unofficial) or provide documentation/list the relevant courses on their resume. Applicants for positions not requiring a certain number of credit hours but a degree may submit a copy of their official/unofficial transcripts or a list of courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades (needed for SAA) but they are not required. However, official transcripts are required after tentative selection and prior to issuing an official job offer. Applicants should list their license/certifications on their resume, along with the expiration date, if applicable.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 11/09/2020
Your resume and any documents submitted will be retained for three months and may be used at any time during this period. After 3 months, you must reapply to this announcement in order to be considered.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.